Release Notes and System Requirements for OVT version 3.0
- Now works on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, with identical functionality.
- OVT is installed using an installer software. There is no need to separately install VTK or Java
(except on Linux, where Java needs to be pre-installed). Root privileges should not be required on Mac OS X and Linux.
- Ability to use online orbit data via NASA's Satellite Situation Center's (SSC) Web Services.
- Ability to use online/offline solar wind and magnetospheric data using NASA Space Physics Data Facility's (SPDF) OMNI2 data.
- Solving problems with downloading OMNI2 data: Since OVT 3.0 was published, NASA SPDF has changed the web location (the URL) of its OMNI2 data files. Therefore OVT by default tries to download data from the wrong location. See the User Guide for solutions and workarounds concerning this problem.
- Miscellaneous data (settings, cache, imported orbit files, IGRF model constants etc.) are installed to, written to (e.g. when importing satellite orbit files), and read from a directory .ovt/<version number>/ and its subdirectories ("mdata", "conf", "docs" etc. ), located somewhere under the user directory. Previous versions of OVT may have used the application directory and subdirectories under it for the same purpose. OVT should/might still be able to read the corresponding files from the corresponding subdirectories under the application directory if the file(s) can not be found under ".ovt" (and its subdirectories) under the user directory.
The user is adviced to be aware of this to avoid confusion on which files are actually being read by the OVT. This can be an issue if installing OVT into the directory of an old OVT installation. Check the Data directories in the User Guide.
Requires 64-bit Linux with OpenGL support available and enabled. Requires a pre-installed version of Java Standard Edition 8. Successfully tested on openSUSE 13.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.
Successfully tested on Mac OS X 10.09+.
Admin rights (via User Account Control) should be needed. Successfully tested on Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows 8.1 (64-bit).
Copyright © 2000-2003, 2009, 2016
OVT Team. All rights reserved.
Last modified on 2016-04-29.